Atomic Bomb Dome in Hiroshima-shi, Hiroshima was registered into the World Cultural Heritage as a building which conveyed the disaster of nuclear weapons in 1996.
Originally, the name of Atomic Bomb Dome was “Hiroshima product exhibition building”. It was built as the facility which carry out exhibition and sale of the product article in Hiroshima in 1915, and an art exhibition and an exposition were also held. The name was changed to the “Hiroshima encouragement-of-industry hall” in 1933.
The designer of this building is the builder of Czechoslovakia Mr. Jan Letzel. It was a building of 3 stories, and the oval dome of the copper sheet was put on the top. Almost all the buildings of the central part of a town of Hiroshima at the time were wooden 2 stories, and such Europe style building was very new. So, it was counted by one of the famous places in Hiroshima of those days.
At 8:15 a.m. on Aug. 6, 1945.
About 160 meters southeast from “Hiroshima encouragement-of-industry hall”, the first atomic bombing in human history exploded at the point of 600 meters above the ground. The pressure of the bomb blast was 35 tons per 1 square meter, and the wind velocity was 440 meters per second.
The building was exposed to the bomb blast and heat rays, and it blow fire out from the ceiling and was burned down. Although the central part of the main building escaped collapse miraculously, but all the persons having been inside the hall died instantly. After the war, the wreckage of old “Hiroshima encouragement-of-industry hall” came to be called “Atomic Bomb Dome” by citizen because of its form as cupola of the top.
At the present, as the symbol of “No more Hiroshimas”, the figure, which leaves the tragic state at the time of contamination, appeals for abolition of nuclear weapons, and the importance of permanent peace to the world through different periods of history.
*You cannot enter the inside of the “Atomic Bomb Dome”. It is only a visit from the outside.
|Name:||Atomic Bomb Dome|
|Address:||Otemachi Hiroshima Naka-ku, Hiroshima 730-0051 Japan|
|Access:||Hiroshima Dentetsu-honsen Line “Genbaku-Dome-mae-eki Station” (1 minute walk)|
|Tel:||(+81)82-242-7831 (Hiroshima-shi “Promotion of Peace” Office)|